Saturday, March 6, 2010

Benny's Tunes

I often search for new Lionel Loueke videos on youtube, and my most recent search led me to a cover of his song ,'Benny's Tune' off his Karibu as well as Virgin Forest album. It was performed by the Garfield high school jazz band, and apparently they have one of the top high school jazz programs (and high school musicians). They handled the song's rather complex form with relative ease. The cover featured notable sax and trumpet solos backed by a solid rhythm section. Almost scary to think these are high school students. Jazz is dead? You'd better think again.

Little background : Lionel Loueke is a jazz guitarist from Benin, and one of the best imo. I discovered him in Jan. '08 through his work with Herbie Hancock River on 'River: Joni letters', and I've been hooked on him since; I've seen him play live, and will see him again in a couple of days!, I have his albums (autographed), his collaborations, and it will explain why I search for his videos on youtube every other day! He gives me a particular sense of pride; I'm sure I'm his biggest fan. Lionel with his natural feel for complex African polyrhythms, falsetto voice, virtuosic technique, and complete mastery of the jazz idiom and tradition, has carved his own niche in jazz. Benny's tune, like most of his compositions, is challenging to play, but an easy listen. The tune was written for his wife, and it features an odd metered time signature that changes every other bridge (11/8 to 6/4 - I think). According to him, the goal is to make complex rhythms feel like traditional and easily recognized rhythms, and in this regard he succeeds remarkably; he plays his composition 'Seven Teens' -a song in 17/4 (!) - just as if it were a song written in 4/4, it's almost unreal. Benny's tune has been recorded by Terrence Blanchard from his '05 release 'FLOW.'
Watch Lionel play Benny's Tune live unaccompanied with absolute and unhindered command of his instrument and art.

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Muyiwa. You shud of studied arts.
    Just when will you ever be a consistent blogger.
    P.S: the audio clip on ur profile rocks.
    [Orlando Owoh]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ola! Consistent blogger? not anytime soon, I do try though :)
    Arts is a pretty tough sell to my folks lol.

    P.s Orlando Owoh is the man

    ReplyDelete